Monday 15 July 2013

Inspired by a painting... Karen

Hi, 
We are starting a very different week from what we normally do. This was Neil's suggestion when we were working on the new planning and I loved it immediately as I have always loved art and paintings. 
We have asked the DT to create a sample of their choice inspired by a famous painting. 
As I write this, I only have Karen's sample which you can see below, but I am really looking forward to seeing all the other samples. 
Karen chose Susan Seddon Boulet 's paintings as inspiration.




and here is her interpretation

I have chosen to take inspiration from the late  Susan Seddon Boulet's beautiful paintings mainly because I just cannot stop looking at them!!!!  
When you look closely there are images within images.  
She used animals a lot so I have adapted the idea of that for a journal page called 'The Hunter' .
I used Pebeo Studio Acrylics throughout starting with numbers 42 Phthalocyanin Emerald, 33 Naphtol Carmine, 49 Primary Cyan and 27 Yellow Ochre brushed over the background.  
When that way dry, I added a thin layer of Gesso to tone it down a little and to add texture.  Using Versafine in Smokey Gray and white paper, I stamped the Crafty Individuals birds, butterflies and rabbit (367, 389 and 372) plus a fish from Paperrtsy Hotpicks (HP1202).  
I watered down the same paints to colour them in. I then lightly drew a cat and stuck the creatures in appropriate places before colouring in the cat with the Primary Cyan, slightly watered down. 
Before I cut it out I went over with an Inktense Pencil to highlight the fur and shadows.  Back to the journal page...I stencilled some Naphtol Carmine through Andy Skinners Burned Rubber mask before attaching the cat.

Karen used
Andy Skinners Mask - Burning Rubber
Versafine - Smokey Gray
Derwent Inktense Watercolour Pencils

See you tomorrow


2 comments:

  1. really like this and what a good idea, very different. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.