Saturday 4 May 2013

Saturday Savers - Touchy feely - Izzy

Hi, 
I promised something new on the blog and here it is: Saturday Savers... 
Every Saturday, the DT and / or I will show you a sample we have made by upcycling something we found or bought from a charity shop/boot sale etc... 
There is a lot I keep... boxes...more boxes.. bottles... jars... trays.. .all shapes...all sizes...  which are piling up in a box (I meant to take a picture but I forgot) waiting to be altered and used again. 
This box is getting very full and it's hard time I did something about it. 
I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this, and hopefully you will like our Saturday Savers' posts and start upcycling too.

So I will start today with this box I have been keeping my Copics in. It's one of those boxes you get with a set of kiddo's books.. I'm sure you know the kind. It's been like this forever and I keep on saying that I will do something about it. Well, now I have. 
Not that I use my Copics much as they don't agree with me (sad face as they are brilliant pens), but I could not leave things like this, could I?

To go with this week's theme (Touchy Feely), I had to add some texture/dimension to my project, so I used embossing paste and stencil. Here's how I made my sample.. 


 This is the box before I started

Peeled off the paper

Added a first coat of Gesso. 
Corners were a bit loose so I added some book paper
Painted the inside with the Pebeo paint
And under the box with PaperArtsy Little Black Dress

I then added another coat of gesso (to hide the paper but not too much) and a second layer of black painting the bottom of the box as well. 
Did the same with the yellow and added a "border" at the top of the box


I then took my Sweet Poppy stencils and applied the embossing paste. 
Tip: I wanted it to match the inside of the box, so I mixed the Dreamweaver paste with the Pebeo acrylic paint before applying it with the palette knife

Added more flowers all around the box, and let it dry (about 30 min)

I then stamped script, flowers, butterflies, dragonflies etc.. using the Crafty Individuals stamps. 
I computer generated the quote and glued it on the box

Et voilà


I used a permanent pen on all the flower stems as well as a little touch of glitter glue


Finished box

I used:
Crafty Individuals stamps: CI-017; CI-207; CI-226
Archival ink: Black
PaperArtsy Fresco Finish paints: Little Black Dress
Imagination Crafts stencil: Wild flowers
Dreamweaver embossing paste: white

To find out more on paste embossing, check out Carol's DVD
It is packed with tips and techniques. So much to learn there.. 



Our special offer this weekend is 10% off Tando Masks from these two sections: Other designs and Seasonal
Just use the code 10TMASKS at checkout.
Valid until Monday evening

See you tomorrow


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful and useful, you can't ask for more !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so much prettier!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it's really lovely and also very much like the colour choice. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the box and how you decorated it and also love the idea for the Saturday slot. I, too, have lots of items ready for upcycling :)
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Très belle boite pour tes copics Isa !!! Bisous

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.